Wednesday, December 9, 2009

NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES is the talk of a PW blog!


The delightful Barbara Vey, who writes a very popular blog on the Publishers Weekly website, emailed me today to inform me that NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES has a capsule review -- by a male, yet! -- on her blog today!

It turned my rainy day sunny!

WW Ladies Book Club Blurbs December 9, 2009

. . . Notorious Royal Marriages by Leslie Carroll

Read by Michael

"Happily Ever After" doesn't always occur in real life romances, and especially not when the marriage involves royalty. In this book, Leslie Carroll tells us a little bit about some of the more famous royal marriages, starting with Eleanor of Aquitaine and ending with Prince Charles. The author has the ability to make dry old history become interesting and fun to read. The writing is quick and clever, without over embellishment of the facts. I’m a big fan of history and of historical fiction, and felt I learned a lot by reading this book. I will be perusing her previous non-fiction book, Royal Affairs: A Lusty Romp Through the Extramarital Adventures That Rocked the British Monarchy.

Thank you, Barbara and Michael!

Here's the link for today's post:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/blog/880000288/post/1620051162.html

9 comments:

Passages to the Past said...

Woo Hoo! Congrats Leslie - you so deserve it!

Leslie Carroll said...

Thanks so much, Amy! This is the first "review" I've seen so far for NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES, so that was exciting, too.

BurtonReview said...

How fun! Congratulations, Leslie =)

Looking forward to reading your new book, just need another 10 hours in my day (As long as it does NOT include working,my goodness, I must add that caveat!!)

If I don't 'see' you from now till Christmas, hope you have a merry one! I will be thinking of interview questions for you for the HFBRT KickOff event in January. You've been warned, so get your thinking cap on!

Lizzie said...

CONGRATS! I know you so deserve the kudos. I just was talking about your witty style. I am excited to dig into it. I promise it is next on my list.

Leslie Carroll said...

Marie -- you and I both need more hours in the day!! Mine would still be spent researching and writing. Deadlines always seem to loom! I hope you enjoy NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES, and I look forward to your questions for the website launch. I am SO honored to be a part of it!

Lizzy, my ears were burning! :) I have to say, my fabulous editor and I worked hard to hone the tone, so to speak of the "royal" books. The way she describes it, I've "made history fun." Of course I've always thought that history was fun, but I appreciate that many people don't necessarily feel that way (my sister is one of them, in fact!), so if I can get them to that place where they're even half as passionate as I am about it and perhaps pique their interest into reading more history, then I am a very happy camper.

Anonymous said...

If NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES is snything like ROYAL AFFAIRS, it will be an enormously fun read. I can't wait.

Here's to January 2010 releases! :)

Leslie Carroll said...

Thanks, Christine! NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES is also longer than ROYAL AFFAIRS so you get even more vicarious thrills for your buck!

Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick said...

Congratulations Leslie!! What a glowing review! I just started NRM this morning and, no surprise here, it's delightful!!

Leslie Carroll said...

I just saw that on your blog! And wow -- you posted the whole forward; I'm blown away!

I sent out a snail mail letter to about 300 people on the mailing list I have built up over the years, spotlighting that PW blog review, and I think it's been effective so far because I saw a lot of movement, of both royal titles, on Amazon. It couldn't be coincidental.

Of course, postage is so high these days that one stamp is probably close to the equivalent of the royalty I'd receive for the purchase of one book. :)

But right now it's all about getting the word out.